It’s time to roll up your sleeves!
This summer, bring the whole family and roll up your sleeves together at the Maritime Museum. Set to work on one of the historic ships in the museum harbour and challenge your parents (or grandparents) to a game of sack-lugging, flag-signalling, deck-swabbing or windsock-making, or take a trip back in time with them on our Locomotor shunter.
A small selection from our extensive Summer Program…
- Ask at the 'summer holiday counter' for your special toolkit. This is where you start your route through the harbour and the museum that you will find full of challenges!
- On the route is also time for a Workshop ‘Knocking up a windsock’: anybody who wants to set sail has to know which direction the wind is coming from. Come along this summer to knock up and test your perfect windsock (daily)
- Lift the load and test your skill with the ‘Up and over’ crane! This scale-model crane used to be used in the harbour trade school to practise with. Now it’s your turn to try your hand! (every Tuesday, 1-5 pm)
- The Locomotor shunter: trains naturally travel through the harbour too. Take a trip on the shunting locomotive along the museum harbour quay (every Wednesday, 11 am – 3 pm)
- Use the new Maritime Museum app to discover the museum harbour
Combine your visit with …
- A quick trip on the Water Bus: Take a 30-minute round trip on our water bus from the Maritime Museum Harbour and explore the Maritime District from the water. Every Monday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday during the summer holidays. Just 4 euros per person, and children under 4 go free.
- A historic cruise: Did you know that you can sail along in one of our museum ships? During the summer months, we organise a 90-minute round trip from the museum harbour every Sunday from June 17 till August 26. In addition, during the Rotterdam school holidays from July 14 to August 26, we also sail on Wednesdays.
Good to know
Date: the 2018 Summer Programme is put on every day from 14 July to 26 August inclusive.
Who: children aged 4-12 years with or without the Jeugd Vakantiepaspoort (Young Persons Holiday Pass), great fun for families!
Fee for the Summer Programme: € 2.00 per child (plus entrance ticket), free for Young Persons Holiday Pass holders
With a Young Persons Holiday Pass, children can enter the museum a single time for free up to 26 August inclusive, with a 50% discount being given on one adult’s ticket too.